Welcome to our parents guide for The Fifth Element, a classic sci-fi film that has gained a devoted following over the years. As with any movie, parents may have concerns about whether The Fifth Element is appropriate for their children. That’s where we come in – we’ve put together this guide to help you make an informed decision about whether or not to watch this film with your family.
- The Fifth Element is a sci-fi classic that has gained a devoted following
- Parents may have concerns about age rating, violence, language, sexual content, drug and alcohol use, and positive themes
- Our guide provides an overview of these concerns and offers recommendations for parental guidance and discussions
What is The Fifth Element?
The Fifth Element is a science-fiction action film directed by Luc Besson and released in 1997. Set in a futuristic world, the movie follows the story of a cab driver named Korben Dallas, who finds himself caught up in a mission to save the world from a destructive force known as the Great Evil.
The movie is known for its unique blend of action, humor, and stunning visual effects, and has become a cult classic over the years.
Age Rating and Content Advisory
Parents should be aware that The Fifth Element is rated PG-13 for intense sci-fi violence, some sexuality, and brief nudity. The movie may not be appropriate for all ages and parents should exercise discretion when viewing with younger children.
The film contains scenes of violence, including gun fights, explosions, and hand-to-hand combat, that may be intense for younger viewers. There are also depictions of death and destruction that may be upsetting to some viewers.
Additionally, there are several instances of sexual content and nudity in The Fifth Element. These include a scene in which the main female character appears in a revealing outfit and is shown to be a sexual being. There is also brief nudity in several scenes, including a shot of the main character emerging from a regeneration chamber.
While there is no explicit language or profanity in The Fifth Element, there are some mild expletives and several instances of suggestive language.
Parents are advised to use their own discretion when deciding whether The Fifth Element is appropriate for their family, considering the age and maturity of their children.
Violence and Action Scenes
The Fifth Element contains a significant amount of violence, including shooting, fighting, and explosions. While much of it is stylized and over-the-top, there are some intense and potentially frightening moments, such as when a character is stabbed in the neck with a broken wine glass.
One of the most memorable action sequences involves a shootout in a crowded airport terminal, complete with flying bullets, debris, and innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. Parents should also be aware of a scene where a character is tortured with electric shocks.
If you are concerned about the violence in The Fifth Element, we recommend watching it with your children and discussing any potentially traumatic or upsetting moments. You may also want to consider watching with younger children and fast-forwarding through particularly violent scenes.
For older children who can handle the violence, use this as an opportunity to discuss the difference between fantasy violence and real-life violence, and the consequences of violent actions.
Language and Profanity
The Fifth Element contains some mild language and a few instances of profanity. The most notable occurrence is the use of the word “f*ck” during a heated exchange between two characters. This scene may be jarring for some viewers, but it is not excessively frequent or graphic. In general, the language used in The Fifth Element is relatively tame compared to other action or sci-fi films.
Note: While the language in The Fifth Element is not excessive, it may still be inappropriate for younger viewers. Parents should use their best judgment when deciding whether to allow their children to watch the film.
Sexual Content and Nudity
The Fifth Element contains some sexual content and brief nudity. In one scene, the main character Leeloo appears naked, but the shot is brief and not intended to be sexual in nature. There are also a few instances of sexual innuendo and references, but they are mild and not graphic. Parents may want to consider these factors when deciding whether the movie is appropriate for their children.
Drug and Alcohol Use
The Fifth Element features some instances of drug and alcohol use, though they are relatively minor and brief. In one scene, a character offers another character a cigarette, which is declined. In a later scene, a character drinks from a bottle of liquor while in a state of distress. Additionally, a handful of characters are seen smoking throughout the film.
While these instances are not a major focus of the film, they may still warrant discussion with younger viewers. Parents may want to talk about the potential dangers and consequences of drug and alcohol use, as well as the importance of making responsible choices.
Positive Themes and Messages
The Fifth Element features several positive themes and messages that parents may appreciate. Here are some of the most notable:
|Love conquers all
|The film emphasizes the power of love to overcome even the greatest evil.
|Importance of teamwork
|The main characters must work together to save the world, highlighting the value of cooperation and collaboration.
|The film touches on the importance of protecting the environment, showcasing the devastating effects of pollution.
|Several characters make sacrifices for the greater good, demonstrating the value of putting others before oneself.
These themes can provide valuable lessons and inspiration for young viewers. However, parents should be aware that they may be overshadowed by the film’s violence and other potentially objectionable content.
Parental Guidance Suggestions
While The Fifth Element has a lot of exciting action and adventure, it also contains some content that may be inappropriate for younger viewers. Here are some suggestions for parents to help guide their children’s viewing:
- Know the age rating: The Fifth Element is rated PG-13 for intense sci-fi violence, some sexuality and brief nudity, and language. Use this rating as a guide for deciding whether it is appropriate for your child.
- Watch with your child: Consider watching the movie with your child so that you can answer any questions they may have and provide context for some of the content.
- Be aware of the violence: The Fifth Element has a lot of sci-fi violence, including shootouts, explosions, and fights. Some scenes may be intense and disturbing for younger viewers.
- Talk about the language: While the movie does not contain a lot of explicit language, there are some instances of mild profanity. Discuss with your child the appropriateness of this language and how it fits into the themes of the movie.
- Address the sexual content and nudity: There are some scenes in The Fifth Element that contain sexual innuendo and brief nudity. Talk with your child about what they are seeing and why it may be inappropriate for younger viewers.
- Consider the positive themes: Despite some of the objectionable content, The Fifth Element also has positive themes of teamwork, sacrifice, and the importance of individuality. Discuss these themes with your child and how they can be applied to real-world situations.
- Set appropriate viewing expectations: Let your child know what to expect before viewing the movie. Discuss the age rating, any potential objectionable content, and what messages you hope they will take away from the experience.
In addition to the content advisory and age rating, there are a few other important considerations for parents when deciding whether The Fifth Element is suitable for their family.
- Sensory Overload: The film contains many intense action scenes and fast-paced sequences that may be overwhelming for some viewers, particularly those who are sensitive to loud noises and flashing lights.
- Complex Plot: The Fifth Element has a nuanced and complex plot that may be difficult for younger viewers to follow. Parents may need to provide context and explanations to help their children understand the story.
- Sci-Fi Elements: As a sci-fi film, The Fifth Element features futuristic technology and concepts that may be confusing or unfamiliar to some viewers. Parents may need to provide explanations or clarify any questions their children may have about the world of the film.
It’s also worth noting that while The Fifth Element is a classic and highly regarded film, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Some viewers may simply not enjoy the genre or style of the film, regardless of its content.
Ultimately, parents know their children best and are in the best position to decide whether The Fifth Element is appropriate for their family. By taking into account the film’s content, themes, and style, parents can make an informed decision that aligns with their family’s values and interests.
Overall, The Fifth Element is a thrilling and visually stunning sci-fi classic that has captivated audiences for years. However, as this parent’s guide has highlighted, there are certain aspects of the film that parents should be aware of before deciding whether to watch it with their children.
The age rating and content advisory provide a good starting point for determining whether The Fifth Element is appropriate for your family. Additionally, parents should be aware of the level of violence and action scenes, including some intense and potentially disturbing moments. While profanity is limited, there are a few uses of strong language.
Sexual content and nudity are also present in the film and parents should consider the appropriateness of these elements for their children. Instances of drug and alcohol use are also depicted, which may require further discussion with children about substance abuse.
On the positive side, The Fifth Element promotes teamwork, sacrifice, and fighting for what is right. These themes offer valuable lessons for young viewers.
Overall, we recommend that parents watch The Fifth Element with their children, providing age-appropriate guidance and discussion along the way. This will help to ensure that families can enjoy this classic movie together, while also addressing any issues or concerns that may arise.
Q: What is The Fifth Element?
A: The Fifth Element is a sci-fi classic that tells the story of a cab driver who must save the world from an ancient evil force with the help of a mysterious woman known as the Fifth Element.
Q: What is the age rating and content advisory for The Fifth Element?
A: The Fifth Element is rated PG-13 for intense violence, language, and some sensuality. Parental guidance is suggested for children under 13.
Q: How violent is The Fifth Element?
A: The Fifth Element contains a moderate level of violence, with action sequences that may be intense for younger viewers. Some scenes include gunplay, explosions, and hand-to-hand combat.
Q: Does The Fifth Element contain any profanity?
A: Yes, The Fifth Element includes occasional use of mild to moderate profanity, including some strong language. Parental discretion is advised.
Q: Is there any sexual content or nudity in The Fifth Element?
A: The Fifth Element contains minimal sexual content and brief nudity. There is a scene with a partially nude character, but it is not explicit or gratuitous.
Q: Does The Fifth Element depict drug or alcohol use?
A: The Fifth Element does not contain any explicit portrayals of drug or alcohol use.
Q: What are the positive themes and messages in The Fifth Element?
A: The Fifth Element conveys themes of love, sacrifice, and the power of unity in the face of adversity. It promotes the idea of individual responsibility and the potential for redemption.
Q: How can parents guide their children while watching The Fifth Element?
A: It is recommended that parents watch The Fifth Element with their children and engage in conversations about the themes and content. Setting appropriate viewing expectations and addressing any concerns can enhance the viewing experience.
Q: Are there any other important considerations for watching The Fifth Element with children?
A: Parents should be aware that The Fifth Element is a fast-paced and visually stimulating film that may be overwhelming for sensitive or young viewers. It is important to consider individual sensitivities and preferences when deciding whether to watch it as a family.